Urgent boot will not open shopping inside!

Anything related to the 206CC
soniafrance

Urgent boot will not open shopping inside!

Post by soniafrance »

Hi All

Please help, I just got back from the weekly shop. The roof is up, all the weekly shop in the boot but the boot will not open. I can put the key in and it moves from side to side but does not open. We all ways have used the key to open the boot....please help lots of perishable stuff in the boot all the garages closed.
206 CC 2.0l 2003

gazza82

Re: Urgent boot will not open shopping inside!

Post by gazza82 »

Bet the operating rod has come off .. ours did once.

But gentle 'whiggling'and nudging opened ours ... but I think it was down to pure luck. I don't have any real clever suggestions ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Thank you, just been out there wiggling but no joy. I am wondering if one of the bags or boxes have been trapped or knocked something. WE HAD THE NUMBER PLATES CHANGED YESTERDAY could that have done something?
206 CC 2.0l 2003

IanL

Post by IanL »

Professional organisations like the AA have a device for forcing the boot open. It is a sort of bag which is pushed into the gap and then inflated to bend the metal. Sometimes it causes no damage at all.

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Thank you for that link, looks great but the boot is full of shopping. We took it to the garage that fitted the plates, they kept it all morning and said that they think something is stuck in there which is very possible as Sonia thinks she may have shut the boot on something...its on route now to the local garage who are usually quite good, hopefully they will sort it, if ot it may have to be an expensive trip to the dealer. Thanks everyone for your help.
206 CC 2.0l 2003

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let us know how you resolve it, - it may help someone else in future.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Hi All, Quick update. The Garage had to remove the number plate and cut around the lock which had failed. They had tried drilling small holes to get at it and drilling out the lock. They are now seeking out a used lock at the brakers and will fit it and make good the damage, guessing it will be a few hundred at least....i am just wondering how easy it will be to get a used lock with a key and if it is going to effect the roof working, to me this is a bit of a design fault.....still all will be forgotten when the roof is down and the sun is out!!
206 CC 2.0l 2003

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Make sure that they look at the small rod that operates the lock ... it is simply pushed through a hole in a plastic arm on the lock barrel and has a small clip to hold it in place .. so when unlocked and you push the barrel in, the arm is pushed (or pulled) to operate the rod and the lock ...

Except it doesn't always and the rod ends up getting forced through the hole and then just slides up and down .. I think I bent the rod a little bit to get it to grip more and tightened the clip .. but it was few years ago that I did this and I was just pleased I got it to stay put and work .. and didn't make any real notes ..

But hopefully it is obvious to your mechanics when they get the barrel
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

soniafrance

Post by soniafrance »

Just picked it up. They replaced the section of the boot they cut away by buying a complete used boot for 90 euros, 115 euros to spray it, 4 hours labour total cost 475 Euros.......boot will be eternally unlocked unless we buy a new key for 120 euros....
206 CC 2.0l 2003

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Surely you only need a simple key if the boot has a different lock?