VIN number?

Anything related to the 206CC
MelidenBob

VIN number?

Post by MelidenBob »

The vin on my 206cc is VF32DNFUF42823712, the registration is on an 03, and according to GOV site it was first registered March 2003. At the moment running brilliantly :D
Now the question, I hope someone can answer, when I put the VIN into several Vin decoders (the free ones) they all come back saying my car is a 2004?
Not overly bothered but very curious. Any help PLEASE :)

gazza82

Re: VIN number?

Post by gazza82 »

Free decoders are probably not very accurate ..

And I remember one was basically harvesting VIN numbers as part of a big fraud ...
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

We used to be able to use the Peugeot Service Box to find all the characteristics, including the build date, from the VIN, but that is now a pay-to-use service.

However, you can use the RP/RPO/ORGA/DAM number (four names, same thing) found on the driver's door pillar to decode the build date. This site explains it, and has a handy decoder app just below the pic of the guys in green ovies.

My 206CC's RPO number field is xxxxx88. The 5 x's are the RPO number, the 88 is just the factory code (88=Mulhouse - all the 206CCs were built there), so put the first 5 into the decoder.

Luditus

Post by Luditus »

Was there not something about design updates for future models being implemented in the current production? In other words, some 2004 models could have been manufactured in 2003 - possibly? I remember that it took me ages of research to find my ORGA number, in order to get the correct spares.

MelidenBob

Post by MelidenBob »

Seems weird perhaps again it is a French thing that they built my car a year after they gave it a number plate?
I did contact DVLA and now waiting for them to come back, who knows my car with reg YN03TFK might be re-registered to XX04XXX?
But I will look at the RPO number tomorrow.

MelidenBob

Post by MelidenBob »

gazza82 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm Free decoders are probably not very accurate ..

And I remember one was basically harvesting VIN numbers as part of a big fraud ...
But the 10th digit is the year build and mine is 4?

IanL

Post by IanL »

Luditus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 pm Was there not something about design updates for future models being implemented in the current production? In other words, some 2004 models could have been manufactured in 2003 - possibly? I remember that it took me ages of research to find my ORGA number, in order to get the correct spares.
Not applicable to 206CCs, as they were all built in one factory, but, in general, updates to 206s occurred at different times in different factories, so a feature generally regarded as a 200x update could have been implemented in 200(x+/-1). That is why you can find a disparity between some features in the Owners Manual for your year and your 206 hatchback.

Fortunately, the Service Box has access to all the build records, so the VIN will always point you to the correct item. If you don't use the VIN, you get to see the multiplicity of implementations through the years for some parts, e.g. the instrument panel, but it can make your head hurt, trying to work out what you want with the RPO number and Factory Code.
Last edited by IanL on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanL

Post by IanL »

MelidenBob wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm
I don't think so. My 206CC was built in 2005, and I do not have a 5 in my VIN. My 10th digit is a 4.

NEWS FLASH: PM me for how if you are curious - your car build date is 22 October 2002, but the Warranty Start Date is 6/3/2003, which explains why DVLA have it as a 2003 (the Date First Registered). Winter 2002 must have been slow for car sales, so your car hung around for 4 months before being sold.

I think this establishes that there is no way of decoding Peugeot 206 VINs. The build date is decodable from the RPO, and the Date First Registered has to be accessed via either the DVLA or the Peugeot Service Box database.

MelidenBob

Post by MelidenBob »

IanL wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:51 am
MelidenBob wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 pm
I don't think so. My 206CC was built in 2005, and I do not have a 5 in my VIN. My 10th digit is a 4.

NEWS FLASH: PM me for how if you are curious - your car build date is 22 October 2002, but the Warranty Start Date is 6/3/2003, which explains why DVLA have it as a 2003 (the Date First Registered). Winter 2002 must have been slow for car sales, so your car hung around for 4 months before being sold.

I think this establishes that there is no way of decoding Peugeot 206 VINs. The build date is decodable from the RPO, and the Date First Registered has to be accessed via either the DVLA or the Peugeot Service Box database.
Just looked at ORGA number from door pillar and they say the same built 22/10/2002