Many many faults... battery?

Electrical 206CC problems
Philgault

Re: Many many faults... battery?

Post by Philgault »

And a question: should the key be in when turning in the sidelights during the reset procedure? So far it hasn’t been, but wondering if that’s why it’s not saying that it’s reset.
Peugeot 206cc Allure, 1.6 Diesel, manual, 2006, metallic blue

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

Ho hum... think I will have to invest in PP2000 - will it run on the same virtual machine as the manual does? (Assuming I have the correct cable as noted on other posts). Either that or nip it down to my local dealership. Multiple BSI resets performed, and after a short time running (1 min), faults all come back. I’m unconvinced that everything has simultaneously gone wrong, so still assuming an electrical issue, but I can’t easily figure out where. Possible it’s rain related (it really kicked in after a cold, slushy drive home) but at something of a loss. Won’t be able to do that until the New Year, so if anyone has any bright ideas before then, let me know. Otherwise will keep you posted in due course.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Did you test battery voltage while running? Possible alternator fault
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

I’ll give that a shot in the morning (when I can see it clearly)... thanks Col. What should it be, approx? (it’s about 12.7-13V when disconnected, being brand new)

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Ideally 13.8-14.4 @ fast idle. Also try it with lights and heater fan on and make sure voltage doesn't drop
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

I think you might have spotted the issue:
Started it up, and after a few seconds the warning lights started pinging on again...
Voltage tests (cumulative) have the following readings. Did test twice, second time after leaving it to idle for 10 mins.
Idling, everything off:
14.44 14.43
Lights
14.39 14.37
Blower
14.3 14.26
Radio
14.28 14.24
Full beam
14.24 14.1
All off
14.3 14.16

Obviously these are all within the 13.8-14.4 bracket, but the drop in voltage is presumably significant?
Would also explain why the drive on a cold wet night precipitated the issue, as I would have been pulling a lot of power to full beams, fogs, blower etc.
Any other likely causes before I start investigation into repair / replacement alternator? Too wet to do much about it today.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

No that is as it should be.
I meant a significant drop, say 14.4 down to 12.8 when you turn the lights on. I would check the BSI is dry and corrosion free (probably worth pulling all the fuses one by one and check clean them)
A diagnostic scan won't help you with this fault unfortunately. You have a bad connection somewhere. After BSI, check engine ecu connections, then binnacle. It's "one of those jobs" I'm afraid. You might find it straight away, or not.
At all times observe battery disconnection method.
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

Ah bother... Going to be a time-consuming job, then. :-(
Have already cleaned all the fuses in the driver-side fuse box, which was a little dusty but otherwise fine.. some discolouration on them but all good. There was a little water in the bottom of the engine fuse box (where the big fuses are) but I dried that and the leaves out... I don’t believe I can extract those to check them, but I also assume that if they had blown then I would know about it. I’ll see if I can find any loose connections etc on the bits I can access.

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

A tentative fingers crossed moment:
Noticed that the coolant level was in fact low, so added some coolant to the system. Then, cleaned all the fuses and connections I could get at without major dismantling of parts of the car, checked all connections I could find, replaced the clutch micro switch into the correct position (it had come loose), put steering wheel height to a position where it didn’t seem to be squashing any wiring, and reconnected the battery observing, as ever, the correct protocol (headlights for reconnection of battery).
Started car, and no warnings (other than seatbelt as I was leaning in through the window).
Let it run for 5 mins, then took it for a 5 min test drive. Coolant level dropped, I assume because it had gone to empty previously, but all else ok)
Topped up coolant again when I got back and will keep an eye on that, but so far so good.
Suspect a radiator leak, so will try to figure out where that is...

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

That all sounds promising, well done.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

Philgault

Post by Philgault »

Seems to be ok - except the coolant leak which will belong on a different thread if the Radweld doesn’t fix it.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Philgault wrote:Seems to be ok - except the coolant leak which will belong on a different thread if the Radweld doesn’t fix it.
It will clog up the radiator at best ... once they leak you really need to replace it .. :(
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

Still think it may be a bad earth somewhere.