New owner, but worried about a buzzing sound

Website news
Ags

Post by Ags »

Hey fellow Aussies,

My girlfriend just picked up a 2004 206CC (1.6L, 4 Speed auto Tiptronic) for a pretty damn good price. It's had 1 previous female owner and is in pretty good condition (only 43500KMs on the clock).

We picked it up in Newcastle and drove it back home to Sydney, left it for a bit and then started it back up again to head out. When in neutral or park everything is fine, but when the car is put into gear, there's a loud buzzing sound coming from the engine. No warning lights or meters are displayed on the dash and getting a little frustrated as we didn't hear it when testing the car out.

I've read about a buzz noise coming from the engine cover, but was under the impression that the buzz comes up at about 2800 revs.

Also, should the fan in front of the radiator start as soon as the car starts up or is this once it heats up or the AC is on?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

Hello Ags,

While I don't have the solution to your problem, I have searched another site for you and someone has had a similar problem with an automatic 406. Will it drive? If it loses power, it seems it may be a gearbox problem. The buzzing at 2800 revs you spoke of has been happening to GTi180s, not sure about CC's, and it doesn't have anything to do with the engine.

Good to hear there are no flashing lights - if it loses all drive and the lights flash, it will need a whole new engine rebuild, according to my sources. Also, flashing lights and loss of drive can also indicate an expensive electrovalve issue, so for now it is sounding like the gearbox needs looking at.

My car sounds very similar to hers - mine had 46.700km when I picked it up and I have never had this issue. As for the fan in front of the radiator, I hear alot of whirring on startup, but that might be the A/C - next time I start her up I'll check whether the radiator fan is going or not.

I'll post back here if I get any more for you

Ags

Post by Ags »

Cheers for the info mate, hopefully it won't be anything too expensive.

We took the car for a spin yesterday and it drove well (unfortunately with the annoying buzz though). Last night we were driving around an area that has some hills and a lot of start-stop traffic. We accelerated a little bit harder than normal and the gear seemed to chug, then it seemed to want to stay in gear for an extended period before chugging again and changing to the next.

It was not the smooth gear change you should experience and sounded like we were revving the hell out of it. I put the car in accessories mode for 10min and that seemed to put everything back to normal....

The last service by the previous owners was in September and have all the paperwork. As the car is a 2004 model I'm guessing its out of warranty? Anyone know the best (and hopefully cheapest) way to get this all fixed and running well?

We live in the Chatswood area.

52nd of February

Post by 52nd of February »

No worries - hope it helps. You putting premium unleaded in it? My tiptronic gearbox was chugging and bumping terribly and it was fixed with premium unleaded (I got lazy and was putting in regular unleaded). Problem solved, although sometimes the gearbox can still be a little jerky at times. I live with that, it doesn't concern me, but yours sounds like it needs looking at by a dealer.

Good to hear that it drives, which should mean the problem isn't as bad as it could be. It still sounds gearbox-related - get that checked out first.