Oil in sparkplug columns

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Fihen

Oil in sparkplug columns

Post by Fihen »

Went to change the sparkplugs today and when I took the old plugs out they were covered in oil. Buggar. Does this mean taking head off to fit new deals. Any advise would be appreciated. Unfortunately with this engine firstly announcing antipollution fault it has been to say the least an interesting journey.

gazza82

Re: Oil in sparkplug columns

Post by gazza82 »

Probably just the rocker/cam cover seal .. but just as likely to be a ham-fisted mechanic pouring it in too quickly and it over flowing into the plug wells.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Fihen

Post by Fihen »

Hey I like the second scenario would make my job easier. The plugs are out so I am assuming that the oil will have drained into the combustion chamber. I may not have mentioned it but I have no mechanical expertise but am determined to learn so thank you for your assistance. I refuse to be a helpless female.

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

Good for you. Before you try and start engine, make sure you can turn it 2-3 times (clockwise) with a socket or spanner on crank pulley. You may have given it a hydro static lock with the oil in cylinder
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Or spin it over with the plugs out ... and rags pushed into wells.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo