New 206 but only 1 key.

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Little Muffin

New 206 but only 1 key.

Post by Little Muffin »

Hi Everyone. I have just bought a 2004 quiksilver. I like the car but it only came with 1 key. What's the easiest way for me to get a copy? Thank's, Muffin.

IanL

Re: New 206 but only 1 key.

Post by IanL »

The easiest is to go to a Peugeot dealer, but it can be quite pricey, especially if you want a remote key. A "plain" key (no buttons) is cheaper. The downside of the plain key is that you cannot set the car's alarm.

An alternative which could be less expensive is to use a car locksmith. You can't just take the key into a shop and have it copied. Some of them come to you, because the car has to be programmed for the immobiliser function to accept the new key, with special electronic equipment. Some locksmiths can allegedly clone your key, but if they don't have the car to test it on, there's no knowing it will work.

You can buy Peugeot Planet 2000 diagnostic system, and do it yourself (apart from actually cutting the blade). However, you do need the car's four-digit security code, supplied on a card with the new car, but usually lost, so you have to pay a Peugeot dealer to provide it. But beware - there are four different flavours of key, depending on the car's date of manufacture and whether it has front foglamps (yes!), and you can't tell (other by the sticky label on the new key) which it is. See here. And you absolutely cannot re-use a key programmed to another car, so don't buy a used key on eBay. You probably won't save money compared to going to a dealer, but you will have the Planet 2000 to use on any future problems with the car. Or if you contact someone who already has Planet, that could be a good bet (see here).

There's plenty more about this on the web, if you do a search.