New member and question

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
Dave Morgan

New member and question

Post by Dave Morgan »

Hi all,
My name is Dave Morgan I am a new member. I have recently purchased a 55 plate 206 cc and am going to change the front seat. Do i need to disconnect the battery to do this or can i just disconnect the wires under the seat for the airbags.
Many thanks,
Dave .

IanL

Re: New member and question

Post by IanL »

I think it would be safer to disconnect the battery. But be aware that with Peugeots, there is a very important specific procedure for doing this - if neglected, various random electronic gremlins can arise.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

This whole palava about the battery, is it really this important to do this proper procedure? Hadn't heard of it at all before I got my cc. Before I knew about this procedure, I disconnected the battery, reconnected, no issues. Never tried the procedure, haven't had a need to disconnect/reconnect battery since learning about it.

Dave Morgan

Post by Dave Morgan »

Thanks Guys following on from that is there somewhere to look for this procedure? or will there be an answer on the forum.
Cheers.

Dave Morgan

Post by Dave Morgan »

Sorry Ian just read it. Thanks.

IanL

Post by IanL »

George 206cc wrote:This whole palava about the battery, is it really this important to do this proper procedure? Hadn't heard of it at all before I got my cc. Before I knew about this procedure, I disconnected the battery, reconnected, no issues. Never tried the procedure, haven't had a need to disconnect/reconnect battery since learning about it.
Ever played Russian Roulette? That procedure is from a Peugeot Technical Service Bulletin, and they wouldn't have notified all the dealers if it wasn't necessary. My mechanic knows about it and always does it.

George 206cc

Post by George 206cc »

Fair point

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

I wonder sometimes if it is just a ruse by Peugeot to put us off and take the car to the dealers?

I've recently had to pull the new battery from the 206 to get the wife's car going. After a couple of days I picked up her new battery so put the 206 one back .. in my rush I just connected it up .. oops .. but everything works as it should .. as it did on her Alfa and there are those that say there is something to do with the windows .. hmmm.

Maybe I've been lucky .. but then I must have been lucky many times as I've usually just put it back in any car (both 206s, two alfas, and more I've forgotten about!) ... live terminal first, earth last .. which also makes the quick-release on the 206 totally unwarranted .. wrong terminal!!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

In Russian Roulette, you only have a one-in-six chance of killing yourself. I don't know the odds of corrupting the BSI software, but it's a real risk. The next time you try it, the chamber under the hammer may have the bullet in it ;)

The quick release on the positive is a quite sensible way of overcoming the erroneous practice of disconnecting the positive first. Using a spanner on the positive before disconnecting the negative risks shorting the battery to earth, whereas using a spanner on the negative has no risk.

Slo

Post by Slo »

I've had my battery on and off instantly many times when working on it and never had a single problem with the bsi from not letting it go to sleep.

I've also changed my interior twice and had to take the front seats out on several occasions without disconnecting the battery and nothing happened, however bear in mind that there are crash sensors in the sills and if you go banging around with tools the vibration could be misinterpreted so best to pull off the positive at least for seat removal.
2003 03'reg Peugeot 206cc 1997cc Manual

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Slo wrote:I've had my battery on and off instantly many times when working on it and never had a single problem with the bsi from not letting it go to sleep.

I've also changed my interior twice and had to take the front seats out on several occasions without disconnecting the battery and nothing happened, however bear in mind that there are crash sensors in the sills and if you go banging around with tools the vibration could be misinterpreted so best to pull off the positive at least for seat removal.
That's interesting to know. Does this apply to the rear seats too as may have to remove them to change the boot hydraulic cylinders?

Slo

Post by Slo »

Rear seat removal is a doddle, you won't need to disconnect the battery for that and i've replaced my boot struts too cos I lifted the boot lid up too fast once and broke them both its very heavy without assistance

Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

Slo wrote:Rear seat removal is a doddle, you won't need to disconnect the battery for that and i've replaced my boot struts too cos I lifted the boot lid up too fast once and broke them both its very heavy without assistance
I've noticed. Me, only 5ft zilch and 6 1/2 st (no, I'm not anorexic - love food, just don't put on any weight) thought the boot wasn't working. Enlisted help of son who opened it and we discovered the fault. Probably a silly question but will the roof still work with the boot hydraulics naff? Haven't tried the roof yet due to not wanting to take a chance with the weather.

Slo

Post by Slo »

Hydraulic cylinders? Are you talking about the boot struts that help to raise the boot lid? They are nothing to do with the hydraulic roof system

Capncol

Post by Capncol »

gazza82 wrote:I wonder sometimes if it is just a ruse by Peugeot to put us off and take the car to the dealers?

I've recently had to pull the new battery from the 206 to get the wife's car going. After a couple of days I picked up her new battery so put the 206 one back .. in my rush I just connected it up .. oops .. but everything works as it should .. as it did on her Alfa and there are those that say there is something to do with the windows .. hmmm.

Maybe I've been lucky .. but then I must have been lucky many times as I've usually just put it back in any car (both 206s, two alfas, and more I've forgotten about!) ... live terminal first, earth last .. which also makes the quick-release on the 206 totally unwarranted .. wrong terminal!!
I've been speeding loads of times without being caught....................................!!
Cheers Col.

206cc 1.6ltr (Wifes toy)
Mercedes ML (workhorse)
Corvette C3 (my toy)

When requesting help of a technical nature, please give as much detail of the fault as possible along with details of exact model, engine size & type, gearbox, year, mileage, and any relevant work carried out to try to solve the problem to help us help you.
Better still, put the details in your signature.