Hello from Perth, Australia

Are you a new member? Why not pop in and introduce yourself!
daveing

Hello from Perth, Australia

Post by daveing »

Hi ladies and gentlemen,

My 17y.o. daughter has just bought her 1st car - a silver 2002 206 CC 2.0 with 200,000ks on the clock. She bought it with her school holiday earnings and stipulated she wanted a project car so she could get to know about cars (and they are cheap).

We found it pretty neat externally and internally with notice that the roof didn't work, don't fully lower the passenger window or it won't go back up again and the lower control arms need replacing. Inspection confirmed there's also an exhaust leak, an oil leak at the top of the engine has been cleaned up, and I'm seeing manual gearbox fluid for the 1st time in my life as I'm seeing it drip out the passenger side driveshaft seal. Oh, and worn front tyres and rear tyres that are 9 years old.

The drive home at night also highlighted a low-beam headlight bulb gone, the left indicator wouldn't stay on past four blinks, and shoddy control arms contribute to massive torque steer.

So there's a bit to do before we can drive it. Which is ok as she is still on her Learner's permit.
We've tried JB Weld steel stick on the exhaust at the cracks on the resonator entry & exit. Time will tell.

We've also dived into the rear window as you may see in the Problems-Other forum. It's a mess. We're in the process of securing the spares we need. (Some UK wreckers won't post to Australia. :-( )
The lower control arms and seals etc are now being saved for...

gazza82

Re: Hello from Perth, Australia

Post by gazza82 »

Get the GTi versions of the lower arms .. the bog standard ones last 5 mins with the heavy 2.0 lump ... GTi has stronger bushes.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

daveing

Re: Hello from Perth, Australia

Post by daveing »

Thanks for the tip. :thumbs: