Rear brakes/handbrake weak and sticky

All your other probs if any.
puzzledbloke

Rear brakes/handbrake weak and sticky

Post by puzzledbloke »

Hi. Apologies for asking what must have already been covered but I cant find it..

Daughters 206cc,1.6, rear disks.

Handbrake has limited 3 clicks travel, hard to pull from start. It's weak if applied moving and unbalanced. Also sticks on.

Footbrake has more travel than i would expect too.

I have read the handbrake has an auto adjuster, could anybody tell me if this adjusts cables or just internal to caliper auto adjuster please?

Not familiar with this particular caliper, I'm basically thinking stuck sliders/pads in carriers plus either shaft corrosion or overtightened brake cable messing with the autoadjustment but i'm wary of making the problem fit what i know and missing something which someone with better knowledge would suggest straightaway...

Many thanks for any help, mot expires today so anything that gets me to the right point very gratefully recieved.

puzzledbloke

Re: Rear brakes/handbrake weak and sticky

Post by puzzledbloke »

Bit of an update: car passed its mot! I'm frankly astonished. Is there anything about these that makes things free up when the car has been driven a bit? Anyway, I know the problem is there now, so can address it as and when (daughter works in London now, so car sits most of the week).

Any hints anyone?

Many thanks

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

It's amazing how poor the rear brakes can be and still pass ..

We've fitted new discs and pads and still the car moves on the drive if the handbrake isn't pulled on by a gorilla ... which if you do it too much, snaps the cables (yes, been there!)

I think it would be a complete strip down or simply replace them. The handbrake mechanism inside the caliper is probably the cause and that all needs a good clean up.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Had this on my daughter's Primera. New caliper sorted it.
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

puzzledbloke

Post by puzzledbloke »

Thank you both very much. I know the handbrake requirement is less for cars with split circuit brakes, just as well.

My daughter tells me her mother said she was asked by the tester if it stood around a lot (yes) and it was a different car on the way back from the test. I'm thinking the tester may have given it a bit of a wiggle/tap...

Looks like (at least till i drive it again) i'm off the hook for now, but feel an overhaul won't go amiss. If I end up stripping the caliper, any hints?

Thanks again

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
My handbrake is kak. I hope at the MOT next year they find fault.
May be worn out as I appear to be one of the few that uses it when stopped for more than a few seconds.
Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

Probably find the handbrake mech on the caliper is tight/seizing.
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Spitfire6

Post by Spitfire6 »

The marvels of a single-piston caliper?
WD40 then?
LOL.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

IanL

Post by IanL »

My recipe for the problem is to use high temperature grease (lithium-based) and then spray with a little WD40. The WD40 dissolves the grease and it flows into the nooks and crannies and then returns to its normal state as the WD40 evaporates.

Did it on a stubborn handbrake 3 years in succession - it's now over ten years later and the handbrake still works like new (car is a 1992 Cappuccino).