Explosive Inlet Manifolds

All your other probs if any.
paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

Hi :D

I'm new to this - so hi everyone! I've got a 2001 Cayman Green 2 litre 206 cc and live in south west Scotland.

A couple of months back, after shifting my pug up and down the drive, I had my inlet manifold explode! I was collecting bits of plastic off my drive for days afterwards!

Peugeot told my mechanic that it had been a problem and that new manifolds now have a valve fitted to stop build ups. Nobody seems to know about this; my dealer can't help.

Trouble is, my cat (exhaust - not kitty) got overheated at the time and has now collapsed. I'm guess I'm lucky it lasted as long as it did.

The whole experience has been a bit on the expensive side.Has anyone else had the same problem? Are there any Pug people out there who can help?

Thanks - Julie

:rolleyes:
Cayman Green 2.0 SE 206cc
Gilera Ice 50cc Scoot for when the mood takes me....

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hi Julie, sorry to learn of your problem but welcome to the forum.

Haven't experienced a similar problem myself but there is a virtually identical earlier post by Elizabethw

See:-

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/modules.p ... t+manifold

I don't know the outcome but perhaps Elizabeth can enlighten you.

Good luck,

Ron
Ron
"If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
Golf 1.5 Tsi Evo SE Nav Estate Atlantic Blue
Polo 1.0 SEL DSG Reef Blue (wife's)
(Previously owned a 2005 206CC 1.6 Allure Moonstone for 10 years)

paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

Thanks Ron. I have sent a message to Elizabeth. :)

If there was a problem with the inlet manifold on the GTi engine then maybe it should have been recalled??!!

I love my cc but I'm starting to lose faith a little; I've already had to replace lower suspension arms and strutt top bearings on top of this last little lot and the parts ain't cheap!! It's not that I drive the car hard (despite what my hubbie would tell you).....

I'm grateful for the advice - thanks

:)

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Julie,

Note fro Honest John's website

Recalls
15/1/2001: On 384 cars, front stub axle lower ball joint fixing may have been incorrectly machined, leading to separation of stub axle from ball joint and lower suspension arm. Cars to be checked and stub axles replaced where necessary.

Don't know whether this would have included your 2001 car. Could have been why you needed lower suspension arms.

Never had any problems whatsoever with our car but it is a relatively new 05 plate with just 8000 miles. Having said that I've always said that I was born lucky!

Hope that you learn more from Elizabeth.

Best Wishes, Ron
Ron

paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

That's interesting Ron!

The car was owned by someone who just drove 10 miles a day - so I got it really low mileage.

Chances are that the problem wasn't going to show itself when the previous owner had it, just me when I started doing a few more miles.

Thanks for that too!!

Have a nice day! Julie :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Hi Julie,

Did do thanks, even though its been raining a lot.

Checked out your website too. Lady, do you have some talent!

Noting your car is a 2.0 do be aware that hydraulic tappets can be a problem. Cars that have been used for short runs can be particularly affected. Make sure you change the oil and filter more frequently than the 20,000 miles/2 years that it says in your handbook. Every 10,000 miles at the most I would recommend.

See post:

http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/modules.p ... pic&t=9519

Hope you enjoy a trouble free summer.

Ron
Ron

paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

Thanks for the tip Ron!

I've got it back today, purring like a kitten :D

I might just chance my arm and write to Peugeot about the inlet manifold and see if I get a response.

I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers and happy motoring!

8)

reap

Post by reap »

it popped due to aggresive mapping on the engine ecu.
when driven hard or throttle on and off ,fuel vapor biulds in the manifold,and when inlet valve opens it over laps (in time )with exhaust valve.
then when you really unlucky it backfires into the manifold ignitiong the fumes/vapor causing explosion in manifold which in turn blows apart the platic manifold.
have had 4 do the same.
peugeot recommend a software upgrade,which in my opinion ,restricts performance to stop backfire issues.see into that as you will... :rolleyes: :D

GrandadMonkey

Post by GrandadMonkey »

Good concise explanation reap. Are 1.6's prone to it as well?

Ron
Ron

paintergirl

Post by paintergirl »

Thanks Reap.

We've had the new and improved manifold fitted now but I can maybe get in touch with Peugeot as it must be a known problem.

All we did was unload the drive (Butterflies style) to get to the car at the back. It wouldn't have gone above 5 mph and was reversed straight back into position. I started it up a few hours later and BANG!!

The new cat is fitted (non-standard) and my Pug sounds great, is pulling well and I'm smiling again. It's only cost £160 from Walkers.

Thanks again!

Julie :P

reap

Post by reap »

never had a 1.6 do it as yet.
tis a very rare acorance,a quirk almost. :D

plumber406

Post by plumber406 »

Hi there guy and girls, :wave:

I managed to stumble upon this forum while looking for help with my exploded manifold problem.

I have a 2ltr petrol 406 GLX Estate not a 206 but exactly the same problem.

Jumped into my car the other morning turned the key and BANG! Got out and found a load of shattered black plastic under the front of the car. Had to call a mate to come pick me up to get to work, racking my brains all day thinking what if could be.

Finished early that day got a lift home and started to assess the fault. My mate happened to have all the star bits and hex key needed to get the manifold off at home. While he left me to go get them I did some research on tintanet and found you guys. Great help I must say.... Cheers!:thumbs:

Manifold off, I called GSF for a replacement. Turns out they don't deal with them, sugested secondhand although thought it rare to find one on it's own has dealers tend to keep them with a removed engine as a unit. Only other option that came top mind was the dreaded Main Dealer! DUN DUN DERRRR!:yikes:

They don't have it in stock and would have to order it. I told the guy at the parts dept on the other end of the phone that I read that Peugoet knew about this exploding plastic manifold problem and apparently had done a product recall, the new ones being fitted with a valve to prevent vapour build up. He asked for the last 8 digits of my vin number and said there was no product recall outstanding on that vehicle. :scratch:

The replacement part is, wait for it.........................

........ £244.01 inc VAT but it comes with all the seals. Well woopi doo! It will take half a week to get here and because of the value of the new part it has to be payment up front. :yikes:

What a way to start the weekend and it's not even 10 O'clock yet.

The 'short and curly merchants' as I like to call the main dealers of this world, could of at least give me a reach-round while they're shoving it up my !W!$! with a great big grin on their face! :popping:
Last edited by plumber406 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

reap

Post by reap »

ther is no recall on this.never has been.and only really effected the gtis and 180s.
:)

jonesk99

Post by jonesk99 »

just wondering, is the 206 cc 2.0 16v inlet manifold the same as a 2.0 gti's inlet manifold? and do i really want a 60 thousand mile 2nd hand one? any help appreciated.

Spitfire6

Re: Explosive Inlet Manifolds

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
did you buy the car?
Did the manifold explode? If so, what were your first thoughts after the explosion & the black plastic bits under your car and thru any local glass windows due to ricochets?

Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.