Roof will not open (FIXED) with MICRO SWITCH locations

All your roof problems here.
ianthelaugh

Roof will not open (FIXED) with MICRO SWITCH locations

Post by ianthelaugh »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
After parking up my 206cc for a couple of months (letting engine warm up a couple of times a week) the roof failed to open (worked perfectly before)
1, Put luggage cover in boot in place
2, shut the boot
3, opened up both catches on windscreen pillar (left and right)
4, got 'bong'
5, pulled roof open switch
5a, got series of bleeps NOTHING ELSE

Checked to see if the 2 micros switches worked in boot (both ok)
Tried putting back a pillar catch (one catch at a time) and tried Windows (as they are disabled for user when catches are out)
Worked with either catch ON but not with both OFF (correct operation)
Did a bit of online reading and discovered the car needs to MOVE REGULARLY for the roof to work (something to do with the roof being able to be opened, at up to 7 mph)
So I took the car out for 5 minutes (drove until temperature was on normal) then tried the roof again - HEY PRESTO - ROOF WORKED FINE

So if you have my 206cc symptoms, it's worth spending 5-10 minutes enjoying the lovely 206cc with the roof up, before worrying

Also would like to say really appreciate this site, as I like to tinker (unless it's too involved) as garages can soon make an older car not viable to repair

Car is a a November 2003, engine is 2000cc model (in case you need to know)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanL

Re: Roof will not open (FIXED) with MICRO SWITCH locations

Post by IanL »

So it seems it wants RECENT confirmation that the vehicle speed signal works correctly, before it will open the roof. Maybe it was put there to prevent people disabling the signal to get the roof to work at higher than permitted speed.

Against that theory, I don't know how anyone could do that without some quite involved hacking - I understand the VSS is derived from the ABS sensors and is distributed via the digital multiplexed system to be used by diverse systems (speedometer, engine ECU, auto transmission ECU as well as roof).

I've not encountered the issue, because I keep mine in a garage, and have never dared to operate the roof when it's inside (it might clear, but why risk it). Maybe just reversing the car out of the garage is enough to give the :thumbs:

ianthelaugh

Post by ianthelaugh »

Thanks IanL for your thoughts

However - the car was reversed out of the garage, and the 206cc needed the run for it to start working

Thanks again, Ian The Laugh

GDA

Post by GDA »

Thank god i saw this.

My 206cc have the same problem after i leave her home for 5 months.

ianthelaugh

Post by ianthelaugh »

Glad this was of help to you, happy motoring