Roof won't close - three note warning tone

All your roof problems here.
Rubyoptics

Re: Roof won't close - three note warning tone

Post by Rubyoptics »

A1Dan75 wrote:
Rubyoptics wrote:May i ask the following and suggest something? When the roof refuses to go down, has the boot been opened? By that i mean have you used the key to physically open the boot lid before the roof fails to operate? If this is the case, and maybe if it isn't as well, when you get the warning and the roof fails to operate, re-engage the roof latches, operate the door locks and see if the roof will go down after that. I'd be interested to see what happens.
The roof always goes down fine, the problem is with putting it up.

It always goes up fine immediately after going down, and will continue to do so for a while if driven very carefully. But on any normal journey, within about one to five minutes it gets enough of a jolt (and it really doesn't take much - sometimes I've noticed it specifically when hitting a speed hump or something, but often there's no noticeable cause at all, just cruising along and the warning tone starts).

Once the error starts, it will persist even if you stop, lock the car, leave it alone for ages. The only way to clear it is to manually put the roof up or, as I say, occasionally by slamming the boot. Once the roof is back up, it will always be OK again, until I once again go through the sequence in the paragraph above.
At the risk of annoying you (I'm not trying to I promise!) can I ask a couple of follow ups? How often does this happen? If so, would you be able to take the roof down, then LOCK the doors. Then try driving it on a route where you know it normally throws up the errors. With the locks engaged, does the error still get thrown up?
2003 2.0. Dyno'd @ 134BHP. 2.5" full stainless exhaust system, lexus style rear lights, LED sidelights and interiors. Latest mod - Full stainless steel Group N gear linkages.

A1Dan75

Post by A1Dan75 »

Slo wrote:
A1Dan75 wrote:Not that I've noticed, why?
The boot lid is monitored and will affect roof operation over 8mph.

That switch inside the boot lid is a tilt switch and its just for the boot light.

Sounds to me like its the boot latch switches, the second photo is blank but im guessing its supposed to be the latch in the rear crossmember, it has two switches in it with springs that are under very high tension for a simple switch, try disconnecting it and driving around for a few days and see if that makes any difference. One switch is for the alarm and the other is for the boot open message for the mfd although it will interfere with the roof if it thinks the boot is open while the car is moving. I had same problem but I just left mine unplugged I didnt bother replacing it.

Btw where are you?
Thanks for the ideas, will see if I can give that a go.

I'm in the peak District, just outside Manchester.

A1Dan75

Post by A1Dan75 »

Rubyoptics wrote:
A1Dan75 wrote:
Rubyoptics wrote:May i ask the following and suggest something? When the roof refuses to go down, has the boot been opened? By that i mean have you used the key to physically open the boot lid before the roof fails to operate? If this is the case, and maybe if it isn't as well, when you get the warning and the roof fails to operate, re-engage the roof latches, operate the door locks and see if the roof will go down after that. I'd be interested to see what happens.
The roof always goes down fine, the problem is with putting it up.

It always goes up fine immediately after going down, and will continue to do so for a while if driven very carefully. But on any normal journey, within about one to five minutes it gets enough of a jolt (and it really doesn't take much - sometimes I've noticed it specifically when hitting a speed hump or something, but often there's no noticeable cause at all, just cruising along and the warning tone starts).

Once the error starts, it will persist even if you stop, lock the car, leave it alone for ages. The only way to clear it is to manually put the roof up or, as I say, occasionally by slamming the boot. Once the roof is back up, it will always be OK again, until I once again go through the sequence in the paragraph above.
At the risk of annoying you (I'm not trying to I promise!) can I ask a couple of follow ups? How often does this happen? If so, would you be able to take the roof down, then LOCK the doors. Then try driving it on a route where you know it normally throws up the errors. With the locks engaged, does the error still get thrown up?
Don't worry about annoying me, any advice is welcome!

It pretty much always happens eventually, normally within 2 or 3 minutes, but my drive home from the station is pretty much guaranteed to do it. Not tried locking the doors, will give that a go and report back.

A1Dan75

Post by A1Dan75 »

Just in case this gives anybody a Eureka moment, it's started doing something else a bit odd which I'm guessing is related...

When putting the roof down (which had always worked fine) it now often stops once the boot lid is raised, and gives me the three note warning. If I then just release the switch, then pull it back again, it gets on with putting the roof down just fine. So not really a problem, but possibly a clue?

IanL

Post by IanL »

This is covered in the Peugeot video http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12920. The roof ECU times movements against values in firmware, and if something is too slow, it stops (presumably so you can check whether things are clear to proceed). It tells you to resume the process as you describe. Watch from 7.20.

It could be excessive friction in the moving parts (try spray grease) or low hydraulic pressure (is the level correct?).

Going back to the original problem, I still think it is either switch E or J which is telling the roof ECU that the lid is not secure. As you say the catches are working ok, it must be that one (or both) of the switches is a little out of adjustment.

A1Dan75

Post by A1Dan75 »

Rubyoptics wrote:
A1Dan75 wrote:
Rubyoptics wrote:With the locks engaged, does the error still get thrown up?
Damn! Tried locking the doors and managed the drive back from the station without the error, for only the second time in about 30 runs. Tried it again last night and got the error... first time must have just been coincidence.