Cannot finalize the closing roof manually procedure

All your roof problems here.
Wulfara

Cannot finalize the closing roof manually procedure

Post by Wulfara »

Hello. My 206cc roof electronics died when I was trying to automatically close it :cry: Some smoke emerged under the roof switch button and the wires burnt out. The rest of the car is still working (other electronics non related with the roof are OK).

I'm trying to manually close the roof in order to drive home (the roof broke in a travel far from home :facepalm: ).

I managed to manually close the roof following the procedure described in videos and instructions but I cannot properly close the boot cover. If I close the boot cover switching the white lids to manual closing position, the boot cover closes loosely and the car constantly beeps while driving as if the roof weren't closed. The instructions magically goes from from "white lids on manual closing position" (boot cover loosely closed) to "restore white lids to automatic position"

This issue was covered in a thread pinned in this subforum named "Last steps in closing/resetting the roof manually" (sorry, I cannot post urls) where user dtm posted:
dtm wrote: Anyway, I think there are two missing steps after you follow the instructions.

The instructions stop after you set the two white U hooks over to the manual position and then it tells you to close the boot.

When I did this, the boot was closed, but the car detected that the roof was still opened and gave a constant "beep" when driving.

Anyway, I believe the final steps of the procedure is;

1. Set the two white U hooks into the manual position.
2. Pull the blind in boot out and latch to the extended position.
3. Close the boot.
4. Start the car
5. Press the roof switch down (close roof). You will hear a 'click' in the boot as the electronic locks will LOCK.
6. Open the boot
7. Reset the two white U hooks back to the normal position (nearest to the boot lid). Make sure you set those white hooks in properly. The action is PULL OUT, TWIST to new position, PUSH IN to the new position to lock. You may have to wiggle those white hooks a little.

I know I'm long winded... but hopefully the above info will help someone.

After that the boot is fully reset...and in the case of my brother in law's car..... fully functional again!!
But that method relies oh the roof electronics to complete the closing and my electronics are fried... Any ideas on how to completely close the boot cover without the electronics?

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad English.

IanL

Re: Cannot finalize the closing roof manually procedure

Post by IanL »

You put the white hooks to the manual position after you engage the locks manually, by pressing the front corners of the boot lid, with the boot open. See YouTube link at 2.20 onwards. In your case, as the electrics have failed, it may be that you should not put the white hooks (they are red in the video) back to the auto position until the electrics are repaired. That is not made clear in the video.

EDIT: On the off-chance that your problem is connected to the windows, you could try the electrical emergency method in the second half of the video, which allows the roof to close with the windows raised.

Wulfara

Post by Wulfara »

IanL wrote:You put the white hooks to the manual position after you engage the locks manually, by pressing the front corners of the boot lid, with the boot open. See YouTube link at 2.20 onwards. In your case, as the electrics have failed, it may be that you should not put the white hooks (they are red in the video) back to the auto position until the electrics are repaired. That is not made clear in the video.
Thank you for your answer IanL, but what you described and what the video displays is just what I did (sorry if I explained it poorly).

The problem is that doing it that way it closes but closes loosely (as you can see in the video at 2:43 and 2:54 by how he shakes it). The computer considers that this is not properly closed and beeps constantly while driving. It is not only annoying but I'm also afraid that it is not safe to drive it that way and I have a long way home by highway.
IanL wrote:EDIT: On the off-chance that your problem is connected to the windows, you could try the electrical emergency method in the second half of the video, which allows the roof to close with the windows raised.
No, I'm afraid it's not. The windows work properly. Anyway, I'm not able to try that method since it relies in the roof switch button which is fried in my car.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Hmm, as I understand it, the locks are opened by hydraulic rams pulling on the cables attached to the locks. I think there is one cable to lock, and one to unlock. See here. If the rams are in the wrong position, that may be the issue. Perhaps you can reposition the rams by hand? If that doesn't work, maybe there is pressure trapped in the hydraulic system due to the state when the burnout occurred.

If so, the only thing I can think of, short of undoing pipes, is to switch the ignition on and operate one of the two relays attached to the hydraulic pack by hand. I think that overrides the roof ECU, but it's all guesswork. What I don't know is which relay does what, so you'd have to try a short jab, and beware of moving parts, etc.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Wulfara - any luck with this?

Wulfara

Post by Wulfara »

IanL wrote:Wulfara - any luck with this?
I finally fixed it... what a trip! :excite:

I had no luck trying to properly lock the boot cover manually so I tried the other way around: fixing the electronics. I had to disassemble the driver's seat, the central panel and the carpet... a really hard work for me. There was a wire totally burned out, all of its plastic cover was melted and affected other wires as well. It was the blue wire which goes from the roof switch button, continues behind the driver's seat and to the left door where it combines with a very big resistant red wire which fortunately was intact. I replaced the damaged wire and protected areas of other wires around that were a little damaged. Now everything works again, the roof open and closes automatically and I finally was able to drive home with my beloved car (we're more tied after this) and pain in every single bone of my body (I'm not a mechanic nor even a healthy person :roll: ) . Happy ending.

But I'm a little worried about a few things:
- The roof fuse in the fuse box under the steering wheel should have fuse preventing the wire to burn. If I had pressed the roof button longer when it burned it could have burn other cables provoking short circuits or even a fire inside the car.
- Replacing the burned wire fixed all of my roof problems. But a burned cable sounds like a consequence of a bigger problem to me, not a cause...
- We still do not have a way to PROPERLY close the boot cover without relaying on electronics during a roof emergency... which would be a nice thing to know in case of emergency, and boy, it seems that us who love to open our 206cc roofs will have some emergencias from time to time...

For other people running through this:
- Remember to unplug the battery when working with electronics
- Remember to have a fire extinguisher next to you...
- Test if everything work before remounting the parts
- Don't wear the seatbelt for making test!

Thank you for your answers and your interest IanL :)

IanL

Post by IanL »

It's a peculiar electrical design. F9 (30A) supplies the pump, but F12 (also 30A) is the supply to the roof switch.

I'm guessing that the fault current which damaged your wire was less than 30A, so it didn't blow. As for why the fault, my guess is that you had a defective wire, either partial short to earth, or local high resistance. Having replaced the wire, there's a good chance all is well, but it might be an idea to put a clamp ammeter round the wire and operate the roof, just to check.

As for not being able to lock the catches mechanically, did you try moving the cable actuators, or operating the relays?

IanL

Post by IanL »

Wulfara wrote: - We still do not have a way to PROPERLY close the boot cover without relaying on electronics during a roof emergency... which would be a nice thing to know in case of emergency, and boy, it seems that us who love to open our 206cc roofs will have some emergencias from time to time...
I have found the information about the relays, in Slo's post at http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=24. As I understand it, if the power fuse for the roof (F9) is intact, and the pump is operational, pressing the right hand side relay will close the latches. I think it will work even if the Roof ECU is defective, and irrespective of the positions of the microswitches.

barry_m2

Post by barry_m2 »

Wulfara wrote: ........ It was the blue wire which goes from the roof switch button, continues behind the driver's seat and to the left door where it combines with a very big resistant red wire which fortunately was intact. I replaced the damaged wire and protected areas of other wires around that were a little damaged. Now everything works again, the roof open and closes automatically and I finally was able to drive home with my beloved car (we're more tied after this) and pain in every single bone of my body (I'm not a mechanic nor even a healthy person :roll: ) . Happy ending.

Hi Wulfara,

I have just had this exact problem with the blue wire burning out. I just have a quick question for you...

Where is this connector block that the blue wire combines with, you mention on the left of the car, can you tell me exactly so I can locate it quicker?