Fuse keeps blowing

All your roof problems here.
barry_m2

Fuse keeps blowing

Post by barry_m2 »

I’ve had a read through a lot of the problem posts here just can’t seem to see anything similar!

Roof was working fine, opened perfect, went for a drive. Stopped, went to put it up and nothing. On checking the fuse under the steering column, it had blown. Replaced it and was able to close the roof.
Tried to open it again straight away and it popped the fuse again.
Only having a 40A fuse spare I put that in (30A is what it should be) and tried the roof button again.. nothing, but it did start to smoke around the open/close switch, obviously due to the 40A fuse not blowing.
It bongs when I undo the latches, but nothing at all when I try the switch.
The windows work fine using the window switches.

Anyone experienced this at all? Does the pump motor jam up? It hasn’t rained so nothing has got wet, but I need to find out what is causing the circuit to overload and fuse to pop.

Any ideas folks?? :(

IanL

Re: Fuse keeps blowing

Post by IanL »

It would be helpful to know which fuse, as there is more than one connected with the roof. If they are not numbered in the box, you should be able to identify it with the owners manual.

If you don't have a manual, go to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/index.jsp, select English bottom left, if necessary, then handbook pack.

However, read Wulfara's thread, immediately below yours. It sounds like you have the same symptoms, so you may have the same cause, which I suspect is defective wiring, causing a partial short to earth. If so, it is nothing to do with the pump, which is on a separate circuit with its own fuse.
Last edited by IanL on Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barry_m2

Post by barry_m2 »

I believe it was Fuse 12 under the steering column, which the manual says it front windows. It seemed to knock out the windows, mirror adjustors and the roof.

What are the other roof fuses, I can't seem to see any others labelled? I did check the others in the same fuse box and they all seemed fine.

I'll take a look at Wulfara's thread and see if it helps me.

Cheers :)

IanL

Post by IanL »

6895 is the switch, 6893 is the Roof ECU, and BSI1 is the fusebox in the cabin. The power relay shown is fed by F12.

My guess is that you have damage to either wire no. 6840 or 6842 - perhaps the insulation has chafed with vibration and provided a path to earth; alternatively, the damage is in the switch.

barry_m2

Post by barry_m2 »

Thanks Ian, that’s brilliant, I was just looking for a wiring diagram.

I just pulled the switch out and the shielding to the blue wire is burnt through, do you know which wire that is on the diagram you attached, and where it goes, I’m assuming fuse box?

IanL

Post by IanL »

That's interesting; it was the blue wire which burnt on Wulfara's. He described how he traced the wire in his post. Unfortunately, Peugeot do not document wire colours, and often change them, so the only way to identify them is by wire no. and where they connect to.

I do not think it leads back to the fuse (wire no. 6173D) as it only started burning when you operated the roof to raise. That's why I said I thought it would be 6840 or 6842, whichever runs from the raise switch to the Roof ECU (the diagram does not identify the switches by function). Hopefully, you can determine which terminal on the switch unit it connects to (1B or 4B).

Can you see any indication of the blue wire shorting to chassis, or any other possible cause?

barry_m2

Post by barry_m2 »

I’ll need to remove the centre console to trace it to investigate further.

Do you know where the roof ecu the blue cable runs to, is located?

IanL

Post by IanL »

It's mounted high in the boot, on the left side, roughly under the "parcel shelf".

barry_m2

Post by barry_m2 »

I just want to update this thread with the fix I done this weekend.

I had to remove the drivers seat to trace the wire from the switch, under the carpet where the drivers seat would be, and to the wiring loom that runs along the side of the car, just under the carpet. The blue wire connects to 4 others with a plastic cover over the connection.

I replaced this wire and it all now works perfectly.

IanL

Post by IanL »

Thanks for the feedback :thumbs:

Helluva coincidence, Wulfara and you having the same obscure fault at almost the same time.