Start to drive causes roof to stuck.

All your roof problems here.
Surffisune

Start to drive causes roof to stuck.

Post by Surffisune »

Hello. Tried to read all topix here but did not find solution yet. The car is a beautiful 206cc 1,6 and I have had it for many years now. Had some issues but always manage with the problems before but now I need help please. So this my issue: the electro-hydraulic roof/windows works just fine. Opens with a bling in the end of operation, and close as well with the blings. As many times i want in a row. BUT when I start driving in roof open position, the 5mph warning starts annoying until i stop again and it stops blinging the bell. After that, the roof is totally jammed and needs a manual close. After that operation the roof operate just fine again. I thought some dip switches are unaligned or broken so I run a diagnostic check with pp2k. Nothing wrong, all switches gives the right data to the roof ecu when the roof is open. No other error codes on abs either? After driving the Ecu goes crazy and there is all wrong with it.. When the error state is on, I can not clean the error codes with pp2k but if I manually lift the roof, then I can clean the codes until I drive away again and the errors come back.
So the speedometer is ok, the aps is ok, the switches, hydraulic and the mechanic of the roof is good - but still goes in lockdown mood (corona?). Could I just cut the 5mph wire (with one is it?) or what do you suggest? The 206cc roof knowhow here in Finland is not so high, not so many 206cc found their ways here in the first place, and not so many survived to this day. Please forgive me for my “Finish rally English”. Br Henkka
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanL

Re: Start to drive causes roof to stuck.

Post by IanL »

For some reason, the roof ECU thinks the roof is not correctly fully-open, so it thinks you are trying to operate the roof above 5mph, so the alarm sounds, etc. This is strange, as you are getting the ok sound when the roof has opened.

You can't just "cut the 5mph wire" - the roof would then alarm when you are slower than 5mph as well as faster, and I don't think it is a wire, rather a bit or number of bits in a digital word from the BSI to the roof ECU. My guess is that one of the roof microswitches is "bouncing" to the "not open" position when the car is in motion.

I don't know if it is possible to monitor the position of the switches whilst the car is in motion, using PP2000 - perhaps with a helper?

If all else fails, I think there is a kit (made in Germany or the US - can't remember) which allows the roof to be operated at any speed - it must send false data to the roof ECU. If I remember correctly, it was expensive.

Surffisune

Post by Surffisune »

Thank you Ian for your fast reply. IF the roof is still open, and you start to drive faster than 5 mph, it normally warn you with a sound and stop the roof action - until you stop the car. Then you can normally continue the operation from the roof switch, right. I can not continue, it is a permanent fatal error and the only thing I can do, is to manually rise the roof or get rid of the warning blings by pulling the connector from the roof ECU. Tried to smoothly ride on, no bumps, always when it reach the 5mph it freezes. :-(

gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

There is a socket on the boot loom behind the lining panel .. near the left hinge as you look at the boot lid. If this comes apart slightly the BSI thinks the roof is half open and over 5 mph .. bleeps!

The socket also powers the high brake light and I found this out when fitting an led unit which meant the loom was a bit tighter .. and kept pulling the socket apart when the boot lid was opened!!
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

IanL

Post by IanL »

Yes, that could be signalling "roof not down" to the roof ECU. I get hung up on the switches and forget that the cable runs could also cause the problem - but it should show up in PP2000.

Surffisune

Post by Surffisune »

It did not show up in PP2000 - But THANK YOU MY KIND BROTHERS IN 206ccARMS! Problem solved! Noticed that my upper center brake light did not light up, checked the socket you described, then just jerking it, tadaa, brake light came on and no more freezing of the roof operation. Super. Solved and repaired in like 5h.
Best Regards and have a nice and safe summer 2020. HK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IanL

Post by IanL »

I've looked it up in the SEDRE, and it's either the boot open switch (2 wires), or the luggage space locked switch (2 switches in series, one wire) so I would have expected PP2000 to be able to show the effect when the connector was in motion.

Did you try with the car moving? It would not show with the car stationary, or the roof-down cycle would not have completed.