When buying a new cat conv. what am I getting?

Exhausts, Air filters and the like.......
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I am in need of a new catalytic convertor but would like a whole new exhaust system just so I know its all new instead of replacing one section to only find i need to replace another section week or months later.

Is the image below everthing I need from cat conv. to exhaust system?

I did just make a purchase on cats2u.co.uk but they cancelled my order, so am looking elsewhere, found it slightly cheaper http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Produ ... yID=114063

My mechanic friend said he could get it for me with fitting kit from his supplier at £230 so he was happy for me to buy it online and save a few pennies but now having to find it elsewhere I want to make sure I am getting the right thing, a complete exhaust with cat conv.

As always your advice much appreciated :beer:

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

The catalytic converter is part of the middle part of the exhaust (Exhaust manifold to back box). The back box and tail pipe is the last section.

The picture you have is the middle part. You will need the back box also to have a full new exhaust.

I got mine from cats2u and its excellent. The emissions test was better than with a peugeot cat.

I dont understand why they cancelled youre order. They were really good with me.

You need a type approved cat as regulations changed last year.
Last edited by cheekee on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

cheekee wrote:The catalytic converter is part of the middle part of the exhaust (Exhaust manifold to back box). The back box and tail pipe is the last section.

The picture you have is the middle part. You will need the back box also to have a full new exhaust.

I got mine from cats2u and its excellent. The emissions test was better than with a peugeot cat.

I dont understand why they cancelled youre order. They were really good with me.

Brilliant - thanks. I thought it looked as though something was missing, as I noticed the back box at the rear when I went out and looked yesterday in reply to my exhaust problem you were advising me on in another thread, and I couldnt see this in the picture above, but wasnt sure if this was just a general picture they use for any car make/model. Thanks.

Cats2U.co.uk - well just really bizzare not to mention rude, they told me in one breath they could deliver direct to the mechanics garage, then 2 hours later cancelled my order, same person telling me that they can not deliver to an alternate address and only deliver to 'billing' address of payment method. They then got shirty in message telling me they couldnt change the rules for nobody (although I didnt ask them to) - it seemed more like they were making the rules up as they went along...:rotfl:

I was looking forward to the item based on your recommendations and how well its worked with your car :)

ptrsnmarc

Re:

Post by ptrsnmarc »

Ollie wrote:
cheekee wrote:The catalytic converter is part of the middle part of the exhaust (Exhaust manifold to back box). The back box and tail pipe is the last section.

Brilliant - thanks. I thought it looked as though something was missing, as I noticed the back box at the rear when I went out and looked yesterday in reply to my exhaust problem you were advising me on in another thread, and I couldnt see this in the picture above, but wasnt sure if this was just a general picture they use for any car make/model. Thanks.

Cats2U.co.uk - well just really bizzare not to mention rude, they told me in one breath they could deliver direct to the mechanics garage, then 2 hours later cancelled my order, same person telling me that they can not deliver to an alternate address and only deliver to 'billing' address of payment method. They then got shirty in message telling me they couldnt change the rules for nobody (although I didnt ask them to) - it seemed more like they were making the rules up as they went along...:rotfl:

I was looking forward to the item based on your recommendations and how well its worked with your car :)
how much would a full replacement would cost? mine have succumbed to rust and loose rocks on the road.

Ollie

Re: Re:

Post by Ollie »

ptrsnmarc wrote:how much would a full replacement would cost? mine have succumbed to rust and loose rocks on the road.
I recently got a quote from Peugeot Maidstone, they say that the whole piece comes in many sections and this has put the price up to £1'192 not including VAT
I figured I could by the non genuine cat yearly for the life thats left in my car and it be cheaper :drunk:

aaronwillis

Re: When buying a new cat conv. what am I getting?

Post by aaronwillis »

Wow that's alot of money
BYE BYE 206cc...........HELLO LEON CUPRA R

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

Hence why I went to Cats 2 U.........

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

aaronwillis wrote:Wow that's alot of money
Init just - he even re-calculated to see if he had made a mistake....lol
Although with the non genuine I am told they only last about a year before I will get the problems I had when I replaced it, the cutting out, wont start for periods of time, so am thinking of paying it just for piece of mind and I hope it wont be as noisy as this one :scratch: :scratch:

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

Had mine on over a year and a half and its still fine.

Not noisy at all. No engine management light (MIL) problems.

As long as you get a type approved catalytic converter on the aftermarket exhaust its fine. If the catalytic converter is type approved, it contains the same amount of precious metals in the monolyth as the OEM converter and so wont cause the problems you speak about.

You are being told a load of rubbish in an attempt to get you to shell out loads on a peugeot OEM.

There are 2 sections to a 206 cc exhaust. The middle section which includes the catalytic converter and the back box.

excessive Noise may be due to clamp getting slightly loose on exhaust maifold holding downpipe on.

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

cheekee wrote:Had mine on over a year and a half and its still fine.

Not noisy at all. No engine management light (MIL) problems.

As long as you get a type approved catalytic converter on the aftermarket exhaust its fine. If the catalytic converter is type approved, it contains the same amount of precious metals in the monolyth as the OEM converter and so wont cause the problems you speak about.

You are being told a load of rubbish in an attempt to get you to shell out loads on a peugeot OEM.

There are 2 sections to a 206 cc exhaust. The middle section which includes the catalytic converter and the back box.

excessive Noise may be due to clamp getting slightly loose on exhaust maifold holding downpipe on.
Oh mine isnt that noisey, I just know its not as quite as my friends 206CC who still has the genuine exhaust on.
I dont work for peugeot but he printed me off 3 pages that had diagrams of all the parts for the exhaust and cat with all the part numbers and he said it has now changed and it comes in about 9 different parts and with that the quote.
Colchester last year told me it would be about £850-£900 and came in a couple of parts.
Someone on here also confirmed what Colchester Peugeot told me that the non standard ones only last about a year before they need replacing. I am unsure what to do but at the moment have no immediate concerns and will possibly cross the bridge when I come to it, or possibly not if my CC wont start :rotfl: :rotfl:

cheekee

Post by cheekee »

How weird.

I was in a peugeot dealership 2 weeks ago as I have had a stainless steel system built now and I wanted too see if I could get just a new downpipe from the manifold.

The picture on the screen showed only 3 parts. the manifold, the middle part (that includes cat) and back box.

I could have done with it coming in 9 pieces lol.