LED Headlamps H7

Exhausts, Air filters and the like.......
Spitfire6

LED Headlamps H7

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
Over several years, I have purchased over one hundred LED lights for cars. (My house is all LED!)

The early tail, stop, sidelights & indicators were crap. Fast switch on and low current consumption, but no brighter than the incandescent bulbs they were meant to replace.

The LED's now are better, but price. advertised specifications, purchase location and selling companies status means nothing. Output power and lumens are normally inflated, sometimes over twenty times reality.

A common problem with the brake/tail lamps are the difference between stop and tail intensity; Many show little difference, unlike conventional incandescent bulbs and should not be fitted. Indicator bulbs will require a 7 Ohm 50 watt aluminium clad resistor to scotchlok'd in parallel to ensure flashing frequency is not effected.

Back to LED headlamp LED's.
The market is full of overpriced crap. Bull-crap specifications and like the "normal" lamps; price and seller mean nought.

The first test i perform when receiving a LED lamp is measure the current consumption at 12.8 volts.
Over 99% never consume the power they are suposed to emit. Most combined tail/stop lamps do not have a larger difference in power between the two intensities, unlike a conventional 5w/21w bulb.

I also measure the lumens with a calibrated lumen meter.

Back to LED HeadLamps.
I've bought a lot of H4 lamps and most were expensive crap, some with heatsink tails and some with fans.

I saw a pair of H7 lamps advertised on Amazon with the normal inflated specs and thought I would buy and test them. When they are proven to be crap I would request a refund and return them.

Arrived today in a small box. Crap I think. Measure the power and wow; nearly 30 watts! These are the highest power consumption bulbs I have ever seen.
Fitted in the 206 and waiting for night time to try them. So impressed, buying two more pairs. One pair for the main beam and one pair for spare, or to give to somebody to try what LED headlamp bulbs should be.

I would have paid £100 quid for the pair.
Cost = £19.99 a pair.

2016 Newest LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit - H7 -7,600Lm 72W 6000K Diamond White Led Chip Super - 3 Year Warranty

PS. You will have to junk or modify the rear black headlamp unit covers, if you still have yours.

Cheers,
Iain.
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.

iooiuk

Re: LED Headlamps H7

Post by iooiuk »

If anyone is thinking of doing this avoid Horizon LED's in Bradford.

While the latest Phillips Led's are great. There customer service leaves one hell of a lot to desire.

I had to return mine as they were too big to go into the projector lamps on the 207... No end of problems about them wanting to know more about the state of them, 3 times they asked about that, rather than the fact I had a legal right to return no matter what.

I finished up with some from HIDS Direct These are Great, far better than std upgraded bulbs. But the ballasts caused interference on the radio. So have kept them as back up and used some Hid's instead.

Spitfire6

Re: LED Headlamps H7

Post by Spitfire6 »

Hi,
The headlamps failed the MOT. No cutoff of beam.
Please do not buy for headlamps.
I still have a pair in main beam and they light everywhere.

Sorry for the bad recommendation.

Cheers,
Iain
Peugeot 206 CC 2L 16V 4cyl 2002. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 80% LED. 5% HID.
Triumph GT6 CC 2L5 12V 6Cyl 1972. QX 3 5W40 Oil. Lamps 98% LED.
G6SBH.
Siemens Controls & SW Engineer.