Chinese DVD touchscreen

Audio Equipment, installs & Recommendations.....
yesnikki

Chinese DVD touchscreen

Post by yesnikki »

Hi, I have just bought a 2002 206cc, I live in Spain and audio is so expensive over here so was doing some research and found a Chinese dvd player with 7" Touchscreen that fits into the dash.

I wondered if anyone has acutally got one of these? and if they are any good? I would hate to import from China only to find the sound quality is crap...

I cannot seem to post a photo or add a link to youtube or the suppliers I have found, if you search for

"peugeot 206 dvd player" on your tube you should see what I am looking at. :?

Thanks in advance
Nikki

gazza82

Re: Chinese DVD touchscreen

Post by gazza82 »

Try 206info.co.uk ... that's a more general 206 site where they tend to fit items like that
Family Fleet: ex-Cayman Green 206 CC 2.0 LE, Indigo Blue 206 1.4 HDi Hatchback, Subaru BRZ Auto, Alfa Romeo MiTo

Landrover Lloyd

Post by Landrover Lloyd »

I bought one for my Land Rover on eBay for £200 and it's brilliant , even a uk seller coolbeansstorelimited or something like that
Land Rover Discovery 2TD5 with a 4 inch lift kit etc etc
Peugeot 206 SE

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

I notice this thread is a few months old, but for anyone else reading I'll chip in. I am a big fan of China head units, in particular the 2Dins (which I know won't fit in these pugs). I've had three of them and they've all been great. The scare tactics on the Internet are all complete nonsense, I promise. You'll read people saying "oh they pack up after one day", "buy cheap buy twice", "these fail the first time you plug them in", yeah it's all complete crap. Most of those people have never even used one, so how would they know? They're too busy throwing their money at Ripspeed Head Units from Halfords (which btw, are just a China touchscreens with a Ripspeed sticker on the front).

What I would say, however, is I'm always wary (branded or not) of radios with extra mechanisms. Flip up screens, or slide down screens etc. My first China 2Din, I chose a 7 inch slide down screen, hidden behind were the SD card readers for the nav and music and also the CD drive.
It always worked perfectly, slid up, slid down, that's all great, but I always had this nagging feeling in the back of my head that mechanisms like that do inevitably fail. It's just life. When they fail, who knows, but they do tend to fail at some point. Plus, in cars where bumps and vibrations are being absorbed by that mechanism, I don't know how much they're able to take before they fail. Those flip up screens from a single DIN unit, can you imagine someone being shunted with one of those open? The amount of force being delivered through those little motors and tracks would be quite high (I once got hit in the back so hard my radio flew out the dash). I'm not convinced they'd survive.

So, after 12 months of solid use, I decided to sell it on Gumtree and got back exactly what I paid for it, and bought a 6.2 inch none motorized one, second hand on eBay. That one has now been going for over three years (which means it must be nearly 4 years old now). Pack up on the first day hey?

It's not perfect admittedly, the interface is kind of unintuitive at first (but easy once you get used to it) and there's the odd irritating bug, but the fact is, I paid £120 for the unit, second hand. It was a bargain. It supports Traffic Messaging System for the GPS (which I've wired into the main antenna using some electrical hackery), produces good quality sound output (better than OEM for sure), and has full Bluetooth functionality which I use a lot. It's a great unit.

By the way, what most people don't tell you, is that most China 2Din's share very similar hardware to the big brands. They're all pretty much using the same motherboards and DAC's. They just load their custom firmware and software.

I suppose there's an element of disposability about them though, so if that's why you're buying, go right ahead ;)

Piyas

Post by Piyas »

skezza,

did you used an adapter cable to still use the oem steering stalk remote? Isn't the 206cc stock radio 1DIN, how did you install the 2 DIN on the dash?
206cc 1.6 16V Petrol
Al4 Transmission

Skezza

Post by Skezza »

Piyas wrote:skezza,

did you used an adapter cable to still use the oem steering stalk remote? Isn't the 206cc stock radio 1DIN, how did you install the 2 DIN on the dash?
Sorry, just to confirm, I was talking about a 2DIN in another car, purely as an example of how the myths of these devices being dreadful are perpetuated. For the Pug, you'll need a single din, or a flip out, or a facia adapter, it's definitely possible to fit a 2DIN, but i'm not convinced it can be done nicely.

For the steering controls, they usually have a generic canbus converter that comes with them. You might have to buy a specific one for Peugeot, but they tend to work pretty well.