Jamjar article in What Car (May Edition) +Import Tips

Anything related to the 206CC
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Not very complimentory about Jam-jar, was this about your experience?

For those without a copy, it details a couple's Pug that developed a jammed roof and automatic transmission fault.

It goes on to report about Jamjar's promise of a money back guarantee if the car develops a fault within the first week, and of Jamjar's customer care manager claiming it no longer had responsibility, thereby effectively washing their hands of it, and pushing them on to the local Peugeot dealers.

Even after the couple quoted the 1994 sales of goods act to Jam Jar, it took the intervention of What Car's helpline to sort it out and for their responsibility under legislation to be fully explained to Jam Jar staff. The car has since been repaired (by whom is n/k).

What Car says "it's amazing that a large national company has staff untrained in such a basic area of law."

What Car also goes on to detail the prospect of 170 customers loosing their money after an import company went into liquidation (with some people loosing the full price paid for their vehicle).

It goes on to give good tips for people dealing with imports on how to limit the risk of such a scenario (p61).

Verdict, well worth the read!

Robbie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robbie on 2002-04-15 15:01 ]</font>

gmjones

Post by gmjones »

I think it was greyUK that went into liquidation also now known as snoop4car.
Regards

Gareth

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

gmjones, this particular company was cited as Automodena. What Car went on to state the only slight chance of recovery was where in some cases the money had already gone to the dealer chosen to supply the car.

gmjones

Post by gmjones »

Ohhh Ok Robbie but I do know that there was a company called greyuk.co.uk and they went into liquidation and people lost their deposits. They are now called snoop4car.co.uk or something like that. Thought it might have been them that you were refering to
Regards

Gareth

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I also believe that Automodena went into volutary liquidation so it appears it wasn't one of the fly by night companies.

sag

Post by sag »

yea.....

i would never buy an import, to many horror stories, i once ordered a 206cc the company shall remain nameless for legal reasons, however i was quoted 12 weeks for my 206cc and on the 10th week i was told it would be another 22 weeks.........grrrr

yes there is a saving buying an import, but when you sell, it will always be an import, so the value will always be affected and the 3 year warranty is always good to have. then of course there are the servicing and insurance issues of which there shouldnt be any.....but there always is !!

i also know of people who have lost their deposit when, a import co has gone into liquidation.....also worth remembring

gmjones

Post by gmjones »

I have imported quite a few times and always will until the UK sorts its act out. As long as you use the big import companies that send your deposit straight to the dealer then there is no problems. As for delays, well you get the same stories with cars from UK dealers. My mate got delayed 10 weeks by one peugeot garage.

When you save around £3000 for a car and sometimes more its no suprise that people import.

As for the 3 year warranty then just pay an extra £300-400 to extend the 2 year standard.
Regards

Gareth

mikeya

Post by mikeya »

The What Car article was about our car and experience with Jamjar. The vehicle has had a new gearbox, but has had so many faults since that we have rejected it. Jamjar agreed to replace it, but now seem to be changing their mind. I am also a little cynical about What car's motives. With ongoing problems they have been no further help at all and are not responding to my mails. Call me cynical but the article may just have been an opportunity to have a poke at jamjar rather than help me, especially as the previous episode detailed jamjar and an import problem.

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

mikeya, I suspected that the article was about you.

Can I have your autograph?

Robbie. :grin: